Jesus prophecy and fulfillment
Jesus was prophesied to come, then he came and he fulfilled all those prophecies. We will go through an use a comparison of Jesus Christ prophecy and his fulfillment. The fact that some say Jesus was not the messiah (which means “anointed one”). Some even say there is no proof he was even here on earth? What they have been living under a rock? We will go through the bible and compare what it said about Jesus prophecy and his fulfillment of all those prophecies.
We will compare from Jesus prophecy of his birth to his death and a little beyond. In doing this it will prove that Jesus was prophesied to come, and he did come. All will be coming from the bible, both the Old Testament and the New Testament. As usual we will use the King James version of the bible. If you have any doubt about the bible then please read my article “Is God Real“. In it I prove the bible is God’s word and obviously that God is real to. So let’s dig in.
Jesus prophecy born to a virgin
Starting with the fact Jesus prophecy said he would be born to a virgin. In Isaiah 7:14 “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”. In case you are wondering why it says Immanuel instead of Jesus. Well Immanuel in Hebrew means “God with us” for proof I offer Matthew who quotes Isaiah 7:14. Matthew 1:23 “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.”. If you are thinking Jesus is God the Father, then you should also read “Is Jesus Christ God?“
Call him Jesus
Luke adds even more about Jesus prophecy. In Luke 1:27 “To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary.”. For even more proof Luke explains where Jesus got his name. In Luke 1:30 “And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for you have found favour with God.”. (31) “And, behold, you shall conceive in your womb, and bring forth a son, and shall call his name JESUS.”
Son of God
Now for how could a woman who was a virgin have a baby? In Luke 34 “Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?”. (35) “And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon you, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow you: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of you shall be called the Son of God.”. So now we know Jesus is the Son of God! Luke 2:7 “And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a crib; because there was no room for them in the inn.”
Also in John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”. Yes, Jesus is a God, but he is not THE GOD! In John 1:14 “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” Notice it says the ONLY begotten of the Father, no one is in heaven, so there is no other sons and daughters yet. Please read “What happens when you die” and also “Why you were born?” for lots and lots more detail on these facts.
Jesus prophecy born a Jew
So let’s go all the way to the front of the bible to Genesis 49:8 “Judah, you are he whom your brethren shall praise: your hand shall be in the neck of your enemies; your father’s children shall bow down before you.” 49:10 “The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.” Is it not amazing to you how God tells a story using the entire bible, For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little. Yes I borrowed that from Isaiah 28:10 but its so true!
Let’s keep going In 1 Chronicles 5:2 “For Judah prevailed above his brethren, and of him came the chief ruler; but the birthright was Joseph’s” and now we have to talk about where Jesus was born, now that we know he was a Jew.
Born in Bethlehem
Jesus prophecy of Bethlehem. Turning to Micah 5:2 “But you, Bethlehem Ephratah, though you be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall he comes forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose activities forth have been from of old, from everlasting.”. Let us not forget how everyone just adored Jesus, well the people did and yes the so called leader hated him John 1:11 “He came unto his own, and his own received him not.”
Jesus loves everyone, even when they do not love him. John 4:9 “Then says the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that you, being a Jew, ask drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.” Jesus is our High Priest even though he is not a Levi? In Hebrews 7:14 “For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood.”
Matthew 2:1 “Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,”
Riding an ass into Jerusalem
Jesus prophecy also said he would have a glorious entry into Jerusalem. In John 12:13 “Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that comes in the name of the Lord.”. Then in Matthew 21:9 “And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that comes in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.”
All these people realized or recognized the sign of what was happening because this had been foretold in Jesus prophecy in Zechariah 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, your King comes unto you: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
According from the dictionary in the KJV bible, “Hosanna” is a Greek transliteration of the Hebrew word meaning “Save now!”. This word was originally used in connection with prayer. I like to look up things like this during my bible studies. I find it fascinating and makes it more fun to learn how words are used and come about.
30 Pieces of Silver
I don’t really know how badly Judas Iscariot felt about what he did but he did hang himself afterwards, so who knows what exactly happened. Or did he not love Jesus. Judas could have been possessed by a demon. Who knows, but I do caution anyone today especially from assuming what is going on in someone’s head. Love everyone you just do not know. Think about this; what if God comes tomorrow? How would you like to stand in front of God and explain why you hate someone?
OK, so Judas Iscariot got his 30 pieces of silver and then gave it back. Zechariah 11:12 “And I said unto them, If all of you think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.” Also in Matthew 26:14 “Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, (15) And said unto them, What will all of you give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver.“
Also in Mark 14:18 “And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eats with me shall betray me.” Mark 14:43 “And immediately, while he yet spoke, comes Judas, one of the twelve, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders. (44) And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; take him, and lead him away safely.”
Jesus prophecy suffering
Read this prayer from the Psalms 22:1-21 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? why are you so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? (2) O my God, I cry in the day time, but you hear not; and in the night season, and am not silent. (3) But you are holy, O you that inhabit the praises of Israel.(4) Our fathers trusted in you: they trusted, and you did deliver them. (5) They cried unto you, and were delivered: they trusted in you, and were not confounded.
(6) But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. (7) All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, (8) He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him. (9) But you are he that took me out of the womb: you did make me hope when I was upon my mother’s breasts. (10) I was cast upon you from the womb: you are my God from my mother’s belly. (11) Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
Jesus hands, feet pierced
(12) Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. (13) They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion. (14) I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. (15) My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaves to my jaws; and you have brought me into the dust of death. (16) For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
(17) I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. (18) They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. (19) But be not you far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste you to help me. (20) Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog. (21) Save me from the lion’s mouth: for you have heard me from the horns of the unicorns.”
Numbers 9:12 “They shall leave none of it unto the morning, nor break any bone of it: according to all the ordinances of the passover they shall keep it.” Psalms 34:20 “He keeps all his bones: not one of them is broken.“. John 19:36 “For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.“
Jesus prophecy of Torture
Isaiah 50:6 “I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.” 53:1-12 “Who has believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? (2) For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he has no form nor loveliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. (3) He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
(4) Surely he has borne our sicknesses, and carried our pains: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. (5) But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. (6) All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. (7) He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he opens not his mouth.
Prison and judgment
(8) He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. (9) And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. (10) Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he has put him to grief: when you shall make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
(11) He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. (12) Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he has poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.”
They spit in his face
In Matthew 26:67 “Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others stroke him with the palms of their hands,”
Jesus prophecy of crucifixion
Mark 15:9 “But Pilate answered them, saying, Will all of you that I release unto you the King of the Jews?” 15:11 “But the chief priests moved the people, that he should rather release Barabbas unto them.” Amazing right, the priests are the ones that caused Jesus death. Mark 15:19 “And they stroke him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon him, and bowing their knees worshipped him.”
Matthew 27:26 “Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.“. (27) Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers. (28) And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe. (29) And when they had intertwined a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews! (30) And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and stroke him on the head.
Matthew 27:31 And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.” Mark 15:25 “And it was the third hour, and they crucified him.” Jesus Christ’s last 15 hours of life were unbelievable horrible! The fact Jesus could see his bones is horrible. Jesus was tortured badly. Matthew 27:35 “And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.”
Jesus Died and resurrected
Psalms 16:10 “For you will not leave my soul in hell; neither will you suffer your Holy One to see corruption.” Notice hell, which just means grave, can you imagine a God going to hell, give me a break. If you have not read my article on “What happens when you die?” or if you have doubts about an ever burning hell, read it you will not anymore.
Doubting Thomas, this is where that expression comes from. John 20:25 “The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the LORD. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.” John 20:27 “Then says he to Thomas, Reach here your finger, and behold my hands; and reach here your hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.”
Hope this clears up any questions you had about Jesus prophecy, and the fact that he came and died for our sins. If you have any questions please ask. Have you seen our FaceBook page?